Google+





Friday, July 06, 2012

MUST WATCH: New Trailer For DWA's RISE OF THE GUARDIANS Displays Record Breaking Potential

Ok, I've seen enough and I'm calling it. This year will be a record breaker for animation movies. This summer Fox's ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT is going to do gangbusters around the world and set a very high bar, but I believe Dreamworks Animation's RISE OF THE GUARDIANS will rival it come this November.

It will surely be Dreamworks Animation's highest grossing movie of all time and that means the highest domestic grossing animation of all time as DWA's SHREK 2 is the current domestic record holder at $441m.

I have ICE AGE 4 as my most anticipated animation of 2012, but RISE OF THE GUARDIANS makes it tempting to revise that statement. The technical proficiency that DWA has acquired over the past 2 years is staggering. They are on par now with Pixar in my books and perhaps surpassing given their recent example of BRAVE (which I loved btw). Not all movies for these studios exhibit their best work of course, but for the most part DWA is rapidly going places. Pixar continues to excel and Sony and Fox seem to always surprise me with their creations. 

Will one of these movies surpass TOY STORY 3 ($1.06b worldwide)? I don't think so. But they will push it I'm sure.

Here's the official storyline:
RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, based on the forthcoming books by William Joyce, will be released on November 21, 2012. It's directed by Peter Ramsey and co-directed by Joyce. The film is being produced by Christina Steinberg (Bee Movie, National Treasure) and Nancy Bernstein, long-time head of Production at DreamWorks Animation. Rise of the Guardians is being written by Pulitzer Prize winner David Lindsay-Abaire and executive produced by Guillermo del Toro and Michael Siegel. Chris Pine, Alec Baldwin, Hugh Jackman, Isla Fisher and Jude Law stars. More than a collection of the well-known childhood legends, Rise of the Guardians is an epic adventure that tells the story of a group of heroes – each with extraordinary abilities. When an evil spirit known as Pitch lays down the gauntlet to take over the world, the immortal Guardians must join forces for the first time to protect the hopes, beliefs and imagination of children all over the world.

The characters are well thought out. The worldwide appeal will be staggering and kids will demand to see it. This is such an easy slam dunk for DWA! Kudos to the development team. And I know their Head of Layout - Damon O'beirne (KFP2) and execution by Stereographer Willem Drees will deliver a top flight 3D experience for us. Look at the content! Flying creatures and free flowing sand? The screen is going to soak up the 3D for us and swallow us whole. Trust me, this thing is set to go ballistic.

Yes, I'm kinda putting my neck out there - but I know a winner when I see it and I'm not afraid of saying it. You should know that by now. Bring on the holiday season DWA! :-)

RISE OF THE GUARDIANS opens on November 21.

Here's the trailer - ENJOY!



Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.