Google+





Monday, January 02, 2012

Jim Dorey's Most Anticipated 3D Movies Of 2012!! Segments Native 3D, Conversions And Animations!

Here's our annual look at my Most Anticipated 3D Movies of 2012! Of course it is solely my opinion and I definitely want your thoughts in the comments.

First, let's review some notes. I struggled with THE GREAT GATSBY. I wanted it to be higher but I am just not sure yet of where it is going! It looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous and I really want this to be successful. Seriously. It should be higher in my list, but it is so hard to accommodate these things sometimes!

I really liked what I saw on set of UNDERWORLD: AWAKENING so it has been appropriately rated for my opinion. Yeah, it's pretty good - love the direction they took it for this iteration.

I have to say the animations this year are not in my face as much as other years. ICE AGE stands out from what I have seen of the preview clips but other then the 3D conversions of sure-fire hits like BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and FINDING NEMO (MONSTERS, INC is also being converted), there is not much I am truly looking forward to. BRAVE might surprise me because, well... it's PIXAR. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS could be a big hit for Dreamworks Animation.

What can you say about 2012? Exciting or what? Ridley Scott's return to not only Sci-fi, but the ALIEN universe! Peter Jackson's return to directing Middle-earth tales bringing 48 frames/second AND 3D (a story MarketSaw broke)! Marvel continues to wow us with their awesome lineup of super heros - THE AVENGERS are here! A new vision for SPIDER-MAN! I am dying to see GRAVITY and what Cuaron has in store for us - how long a take can he manage? And who cannot mention the painstakingly careful conversions that are finally ready for us in TITANIC 3D and STAR WARS I?

Let's get on with it! 2012 is here!!

Here's my list of the 8 Most Anticipated native 3D movies of 2012:
8(tie). HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS (March 2)
8(tie). ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER (June 22)
7. THE GREAT GATSBY (December 25)
6. DREDD (September 21)
5. UNDERWORLD: AWAKENING (January 20)
4. JACK THE GIANT KILLER (June 15)
3. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (July 3)
2. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (December 14)
1. PROMETHEUS (June 8)

My list of the 8 Most Anticipated 3D animation movies of 2012:
8. MADAGASCAR 3: EUROPE'S MOST WANTED (June 8)
7. FINDING NEMO 3D (re-release; conversion) (September 14)
6. BRAVE (June 22)
5. FRANKENWEENIE (stop motion) (October 5)
4. THE LORAX (March 2)
3. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS (November 21)
2. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D (re-release; conversion) (January 13)
1. ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT (July 13)

My list of the 8 Most Anticipated 3D conversion movies of 2012:
8. MEN IN BLACK III (May 25)
7. WRATH OF THE TITANS (March 30)
6. GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE (February 17)
5. STAR WARS I: THE PHANTOM MENACE 3D (re-release) (February 10)
4. JOHN CARTER (March 9)
3. TITANIC 3D (re-release) (April 6)
2. GRAVITY (November 21)
1. THE AVENGERS (May 4)

So here's my ALL-IN 20 Most Anticipated 3D Movie List in reverse order:
20. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS (Animation) (November 21)
19. MEN IN BLACK III (Conversion) (May 25)
18. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST 3D (Conversion) (January 13)
17. WRATH OF THE TITANS (Conversion) (March 30)
16. HANSEL AND GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS (Native 3D) (March 2)
15. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER (Native 3D) (June 22)
14. ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT (Animation) (July 13)
13. GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE (Conversion) (February 17)
12. STAR WARS I: THE PHANTOM MENACE 3D (Conversion) (February 10)
11. THE GREAT GATSBY (Native 3D) (December 25
10. DREDD (Native 3D) (September 21)
9. JOHN CARTER (Conversion) (March 9)
8. TITANIC 3D (Conversion) (April 6)
7. UNDERWORLD: AWAKENING (Native 3D) (January 20)
6. JACK THE GIANT KILLER (Native 3D) (June 15)
5. GRAVITY (Conversion) (November 21)
4. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (Native 3D) (July 3)
3. THE AVENGERS (Conversion) (May 4)
2. THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY (Native 3D) (December 14)
1. PROMETHEUS (Native 3D) (June 8)

Honorable Mention (in no particular order) goes to JOURNEY 2: THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3D, AMITYVILLE - THE LEGACY 3D, PARANORMAN, RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION, LIFE OF PI, MONSTERS, INC 3D (conversion), HALLOWEEN 3D (not sure this is going to happen in 2012) and BATTLE ROYALE 3D (Anchor Bay has not given release details yet). Of these however, LIFE OF PI and BATTLE ROYALE stand out for me and hopefully RESIDENT EVIL: RETRIBUTION kicks it up a notch.

So let's watch as JACK THE GIANT KILLER defies GRAVITY. WITCH and VAMPIRE HUNTERS abound! We have nothing to DREDD! We have Ridley Scott, Peter Jackson, James Cameron, George Lucas to entertain us this year. I'm loving it! 3D is on it baby.

And yes, it was hard to choose PROMETHEUS over THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY. Very hard.

What are YOUR thoughts on 2012? :-)


Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.