|Click to enlarge|
Check out what Karl Urban (Dr. McCoy) recently said when he was asked about Benedict Cumberbatch's character in the movie:
"He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary."Hello. That was clear and to the point. Gary Mitchell. If you are up on your STAR TREK TOS (The Original Series) lore, then you know that Gary Mitchell was in the second episode of the series (WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE) and played a member of starfleet along with Kirk. The two were on an away mission when Mitchell was affected by the galaxy's edge that gave him some rather strong and godlike psionic abilities, namely:
- Conscious regulation of autonomic reflexes
- Extrasensory perception of various kinds, including clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairoratory
- The ability to harm other organisms using directed energy
- The ability to manipulate matter, including the instant materialization and dematerialization of both organisms and objects
- The ability to control energy, including invulnerability to phaser weapons
The statement by Urban makes sense too as Cumberbatch has been seen with the starfleet logo on his shirt in some spy shots from the STAR TREK 2 set.
I loved the episode! Still do. I would be much more pleased with seeing this mega-villain involved with the movie than a revisit with Khan. Khan would have to be PERFECT because it's been done before and DONE WELL. Mitchell has some wiggle room.
STAR TREK 2 is slated to launch on May 17, 2013.
Sources: SFX | Memory-Alpha | ShareTV