Google+





Thursday, February 18, 2010

I.E. Effects Creating Groundbreaking S3D Experience for 2010 World's Fair

Michael here. Today I had the chance to visit visual effects and creative production company I.E. Effects as they worked on a soundstage in Carson, CA to shoot live action components of a revolutionary stereoscopic 3D project destined for the 2010 World's Fair in Shanghai.


The part of the shoot I witnessed featured an actor on a green-skinned vehicle atop a large rotatable green disk. All in front of large green screens. According to I.E. Executive Producer David Kenneth, the CG elements are already at an advanced state of completion. The stereo was worked out in advance so that the live action would perfectly match the CG.

The set featured a Hyundai 3DTV which displayed a realtime 3D feed of what the camera was capturing.

I.E. shot with dual RED ONEs on an Element Technica beamsplitter stereo rig. The 3D content will be exhibited as part of a fully immersive ride which will seamlessly blend elements like 180 degree panoramas with a physical set. I.E. has done a great deal of research and development to push the boundaries of what's possible with traditional projected content. Some of the techniques they are employing have never been used before.

I'll be meeting at I.E.'s Culver City offices to take a much more detailed look at this project and some of the revolutionary ideas and technologies it will incorporate. Stay tuned!

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.