Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Update on "Avatar" Trailer

Jim here. Looks like Jim Cameron emailed Harry Knowles over at AICN to clear the air about the rumors I posted here. And for the most part I am relieved to hear from the Cameron - he had some great things to say, especially about WETA producing astonishing work. As for the content, here is my position:

1. I stand by my sources. What does that mean? It means that I believe them and their opinions. Are we ever going to know for sure about the inner workings of a studio? No. So in retrospect was there any way for me to prove that my post's rumors were true? Nope - other than to contact Cameron which I do not have his email. I posted them with full knowledge that AICN will probably email Cameron or someone close to his camp as they usually do when I get my exclusives. They have done it at least twice before with the last time being a verification that my Na'vi exclusive image was in fact real.

2. I was very VERY clear that these were rumors, NOT facts and not verified in any way. That being said I was comfortable with the AVATAR trailer piece *and* AVATAR being based on real science. Interesting that Cameron did not refute the latter claim at all so one could read between the lines there I suppose. I put a value of 8 out of 10 on these as they both came from great sources. By the way we had more than one source tell us that there was 6 or more trailers rejected already; sources that have proven trustworthy.

3. I have heard about a spat between Spielberg and Jackson from more than one source. That counts for something with me. But still I did not have someone saying that it was absolutely a fact so hence the rumor value of 5 out of 10. To me, that says that it could just as well be false as true - I figured you as fans would be interested so I posted it. With AICN saying "also not true btw" - I say, meh - who cares really? I rated it 50%. And that is where I stand. At least I added something to the discussion about those two mega talented directors. Oh, and AICN gave no back up for that statement at all. Actually I found it funny they felt it necessary to talk about it.

So in the end I am surprised that the post is getting the media traction it did, given that I weighted the rumors appropriately (if I can't fact check with the big guy, then it is the best I can do), I stand by my sources, and I was disappointed how other sites treated the material - blowing it out of proportion. One thing is certain, we rather do need to see a glimpse of AVATAR soon as obviously fan anticipation is growing and justifiably so. This is a James Cameron movie after all guys! And if there is one thing MarketSaw is all about, it is James Cameron 3D movies.

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2016, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.